Operation Monarch kicks off today in Call Of Duty’s free-to-play battle royale game Warzone.
The two-week event brings gargantuan monsters to Caldera island—and the Item Shop. The secretive monster defense agency Monarch has come to Caldera to study and contain this massive threat.
New challenges, modes and other goodies await as players drop in to get those elusive W’s. Here’s everything you need to know about Operation Monarch.
Operation Monarch Start And End Dates
Operation Monarch is now live in Warzone and runs for two weeks, wrapping up on May 25th. That’s not as long as some past events, but that’s probably all for the best. The game’s most recent monstrous addition was Krampus and that demon outwore its welcome.
Operation Monarch LTM
The stars of Operation Monarch are two titans: Godzilla and Kong, last seen in the rather disappointing Godzilla Vs Kong movie. Both these massive creatures can now be found roaming about Caldera island. They aren’t hostile right away, but they can be triggered which activates Titan Frenzy if provoked by humans or each other.
Here are the stats for each of the giant monsters.
- Monarch Designation: GODZILLA
- Scientific Classification: TITANUS GOJIRA
- Height: 393 Feet
- Known Attacks: Heat Ray Breath, Tail Swipe, Dorsal Slice
- Tail Length: 582 Feet
- Top Tail Swipe Speed: 89 MPH
- Underwater Cruising Speed: 40-50 Knots
- Volume of Roar: Up To 174 dB
- Blood Volume: 530,000 Gallons
- Tensile Strength of Bone: 3,000 MPS (Megapascal)
- Heat Ray Energy Yield: 315 Trillion Joules
- Monarch Designation: KONG
- Scientific Classification: TITANUS KONG
- Height: 337 Feet
- Known Attacks: Quake Slam, Fin Breaker, Aerial Axe Slash
- Punch Strength: Approx. 4.2 M (Magnitude on Richter Scale)
- Tensile Strength of Bone: 2,800 MPS (Megapascal)
- Volume of Roar: Up to 170 dB
- Top Arm Swing Speed: 62 MPH
- Top Bipedal Running Speed: 78 MPH
- Top Quadrupedal Running Speed: 104 MPH
- Preferred Diet: Foliage, Bamboo, Mire Squid
How It Works
The new Operation Monarch limited-time mode throws a number of twists into the Warzone gameplay loop. The biggest of these is obviously the two Titans wandering about. But there are other gameplay tweaks.
The LTM is Quad-based, so find some friends to play with if you can. A total of 60 players will drop into a match (more than in Rebirth Resurgence mode, but far fewer than in a normal battle royale match).
The ruleset here is Resurgence-based, so as long as Resurgence is active, if you die you can come back as long as a member of your team is still standing. As with Resurgence Caldera, only a portion of the full map will be available in these matches.
Once you’ve landed, look for Monarch Intel which you’ll find in Supply Boxes, special drops and on fallen enemies. This Intel charges a special meter that unlocks Killstreaks, Loadout Drops and—should you fill the bar entirely—a special Titan Killstreak. This is all similar to the previous Power Grab LTM, just with the addition of giant monsters.
You can also fill the Monarch Intel meter by dealing damage to Kong or Godzilla, though this obviously risks putting them into Titan Frenzy.
At times during an Operation Monarch match, Kong and Godzilla will become enraged and start attacking players. You have two options at this point.
First off, you can run away. There’s no shame in running and living to fight another day. But you forego the rewards for a successful suppression attempt (you can’t actually kill Titans, only hold them off).
The team that deals the most damage to either Titan will receive the Monarch S.C.R.E.A.M. device, while runners-up will get Intel.
The Titan S.C.R.E.A.M. Device (which stands for Titan Sonic Communication Radar and Echolocation Array Module—quite the mouthful!) is a special Killstreak that allows you to unleash either Godzilla’s Heat Ray breath on other players, or Kong’s mighty ground pound.
Challenges & Rewards
There are eight challenges with eight corresponding rewards during the Operation Monarch LTM. These are:
- Play Operation Monarch for 6 Hours: Reward — Epic “Ancestral Skull” Charm
- Use a Kong or Godzilla Killstreak Once: Reward — Rare “Ancient Remains” Charm
- Use a Kong or Godzilla Killstreak Three Times: Reward — Rare “Monarch Eyes Only” Charm
- Deal 500,000 damage to Titans: Reward — Rare “Concrete Jungle” Sticker
- Deal 135,000 total damage to Kong in Titan Frenzy Events: Reward — Legendary “Team Godzilla” Emblem
- Deal 135,000 total damage to Godzilla in Titan Frenzy Events: Reward — Legendary “Team Kong” Emblem
- Collect 3,000 Monarch Intel: Reward — Epic “Skyline Crasher” Calling Card
- Place in the Top 15 twelve times in the Operation Monarch Limited-Time Mode: Reward — Epic “One Will Fall” Spray
These are the main rewards for playing Operation Monarch, but there are other secret rewards you can earn just by playing. According to the developers:
“Monarch is also giving out rewards just by playing the Operation Monarch mode and braving the Titan Frenzy in-game event. While these challenges are separate to the eight needed to unlock the “Ancient Rivalry,” there still reward charms, Calling Cards, and Player Titles.
“Rumor has it that Monarch has a few secret rewards for the brave (or just plain reckless), so experiment with both monsters and see what you can find…”
In other words, go wild.
Item Shop Bundles
There are three premium bundles available for purchase in the Item Shop during the event. These bundles include Operator skins that let you cosplay as your monster of choice, plus Weapon Blueprints and other cosmetics.
Tracer Pack: Godzilla Reactive Mastercraft Limited Time Bundle
Tracer Pack: Kong Limited Time Bundle
Tracer Pack: Mechagodzilla Limited Time Bundle
You can unlock special Calling Cards by visiting the Monsterverse website. Operation Monarch is a joint effort made possible by developer studios Raven Software, Sledgehammer Games, and Toys for Bob, along with Legendary Entertainment.
I’ll be playing this mode today and will report back with my findings. I’ve been on a bit of a Warzone break lately, playing MP in Modern Warfare, Black Ops Cold War and Vanguard instead while waiting for this event to drop.
Now we just need a new small map! Come on Activision!