Jeff Stelling jokes he’s “giving up boxing” after showing off nasty black eye

Jeff Stelling has joked that he’s retired from boxing after a “dizzy spell” saw the Sky Sports legend smash his head against a door.

The 67-year-old, who has been entertaining the nation for more than two decades, delighted fans last month when announcing he was making a u-turn on ending his stint as Soccer Saturday host. But Stelling was forced to admit that his days of being in the squared circle were over, sporting a nasty shiner on a picture to his followers.

The first post, which included the picture of his eye, was accompanied with the caption: “Like Tyson Fury I have decided to give up boxing!” Stelling was of course referring to the fact that the Gypsy King announced he was hanging up his gloves following his knockout victory over Dillian Whyte at Wembley.

Fury brutally ended the contest with a stunning uppercut in the sixth round and later confirmed that it would be his last moment in a boxing ring. “I’ve won every belt there is to win,” he told reporters. “If this was a computer game it would definitely be completed for sure.

“Before I fought Deontay Wilder 3, I was in my house in Vegas and I said to (wife) Paris ‘this is going to be the last fight, I just don’t want to do it anymore’ and she said ‘yes I’m happy, let it be the last fight’,” the WBC heavyweight champion added.

As for Stelling’s bruising encounter, he clarified: “So I was not drunk and did not walk into anyones nose!! Had dizzy spell, next thing I knew I had fallen and smashed head against a door. Not recommended!!” Long time colleague and pal Chris Kamara then swiftly replied with a picture of himself, opposite Fury’s great rival Anthony Joshua during what looks like a sparring session.






Jeff Stelling posted the injury on his social media account


Jeff Stelling posted the injury on his social media account
(
@JeffStelling/Twitter)

“I have sorted him for you Jeff! Let me know if Tyson F duffs you up,” Kamara tweeted. Stelling had confirmed to viewers in October of last year that the conclusion of this season would see him step away from the anchor’s chair of a show which has become an institution during its run.

But speaking at the end of March he revealed the change of plans in a statement released by the broadcaster. “Sky Sports is my home, and the Soccer Saturday team are a big part of my life,” the briefing read.

“As the end of the season approached, and I was preparing to say goodbye, I realised that I was not ready to blow the final whistle and leave the best job in the world. I am thrilled to be staying, and excited about moving the show forward and creating more special Saturday afternoons on Sky Sports.”

Read More

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.