Actor Kevin Spacey will star in his biggest project since stepping away from acting after being accused by several people of sexual misconduct in 2017, Deadline reported Wednesday.
Spacey, 62, will lead the historical drama 1242 – Gateway to the West, a U.K.-Hungarian-Mongolian production about Genghis Khan’s grandson Batu Khan, according to Deadline.
The project is being directed by Hungarian director Peter Soos, and will be on sale at Cannes Market, Deadline reported.
Last year, it was announced Spacey was cast in an Italian film, L’uomo Che Disegno Dio.
Allegations about Spacey were first surfaced in 2017 by actor Anthony Rapp, who told Buzzfeed News Spacey made an unwanted sexual advance towards him when he was 14-years-old. Over two dozen other accusers have since come forward, some of whom were men who said Spacey harassed them when they were teenagers or young adults. Spacey was also accused of harassing some cast and crew members on the set of his Netflix series House Of Cards, which he was starring in at the time. Spacey was subsequently fired from the series and his character, Frank Underwood, was written off. That year his publicist and agency CAA dropped him as a client. Spacey denied some of the claims made against him by Rapp, and never commented on others brought against him. Spacey was charged with assaulting an 18-year-old man in Massachusetts, but in 2019 the charges were dropped. Last year, the actor and two of his production companies were required to pay House Of Cards producers $31 million for breaching his contract by violating the show’s sexual harassment policy.
The sexual assault allegations against Kevin Spacey span decades. Here’s what we know. (Vox)
Kevin Spacey Must Pay ‘House Of Cards’ Producers $31 Million (Forbes)